Sometimes, a warm embrace is all you need to feel loved.
Social connectivity is one of the key components to emotional wellbeing. But, in aged care centres, elderly members of our community are often left without this crucial sense of social connection.
To combat these feelings of isolation and depression that elderly members of our community so often feel, we’ve partnered with the Salvation Army and interactive design students from UNSW to create “The Hugging Forest”.
Through this interactive experience, we hope to connect aged care residents and the general public through a simple hug. By sharing messages of support through a virtual embrace, we can let one another know that no matter who or where you are, there is someone out there who cares.
From now until 15 August, there will be a public vote to determine whether The Hugging Forest will be funded. If you live in the inner Sydney, your vote could help make this project a reality.
How to Vote
1. Have your Medicare card ready to verify your name and age.
2. Visit https://mycommunityproject.service.nsw.gov.au and select ‘Newtown’. You will need to make sure your NSW residential address is in the Newtown electorate which includes Redfern, Surry Hills, Eveleigh, Enmore, Petersham, Stanmore, Camperdown and Darlington. You can check your electorate here: https://electorate.aec.gov.au/.
3. Select The Hugging Forest from the list of projects and select ‘View project’.
4. Once inside The Hugging Forest, select ‘Shortlist me’.
5. Follow the prompts to login to Service NSW using your email and password.
6. Shortlist 2 other projects and then select ‘View your shortlist to vote’ in the top right hand side of the screen.
7. Make sure The Hugging Forest is listed as preference number 1 and select ‘Vote now’ to submit your vote.